Filing Fee: $180.00

Click on the   to read the INSTRUCTIONS and/or complete the FORMS.   All Forms should be completed in PERMANENT BLACK INK!

Please Note:   Original Certified Birth Certificates must be filed for every person seeking to change their name. No abstracts, hospital certificates or copies of birth certificates will be accepted. If name has previously been changed by court order or marriage, you must file those documents.

If you receive an error message about your version of Adobe Reader while trying to open a court PDF, the error message you received was probably misleading. The issue isn't with your version of Adobe Reader. Most computers have Adobe Reader, but many browsers don't use it by default. To be sure you're using Adobe Reader:

  • Open the form using Internet Explorer if possible. 
  • Otherwise, download the form and then open it using Adobe Reader, rather than opening it within your browser. On many computers, you can do this by right-clicking on the file name and selecting "Save As" or "Save Link As".
  • Finally, if Adobe Reader isn't installed on your computer, you can download it at:
Form Name Description Of Form Form Instructions
Change of Name Petition
Petitioner must complete all applicable sections of this form.
Request for Record Information (CORI) If minor is 10 years or older, this form must be completed and filed with the Petition.
Affidavit Disclosing Care or Custody Proceedings Complete this form to let the court know if there are any care or custody proceedings regarding the child in Massachusetts or any other state.
Motion For Service by Alternate Means and Affidavit of Diligent Search  Publication is required in all name change cases unless waived by a judge. This form can be used to ask for such a waiver.  


Assent to Petition to Change of Name of Minor